Friday, February 22, 2013

My Dream Closet (i.e., small space organization!)

Welcome to this week's Lolita Blog Carousel! The topic is: Design your dream closet.

My dream closet, in one word, would be "organized."

Space is very lacking in Taiwan. Staying organized is a real challenge, especially when you wear a fashion that takes up a lot of room *cough*Lolita*cough*

I have been trying to find ways to stay organized with such limited space, but all the "small closet" organization sites and solutions I found still showed closets that were 3-4 times the size of mine. Plus, I actually use half of my closet for storing my sewing things! Most of my clothes actually need to go under the bed.
 photo CIMG5023_zps4028f242.jpg


The storage space under the bed is only divided in two, so the clothes tend to all clump together and the back is difficult to reach! I used shoe boxes to divvy up the space into "drawers" and use a filing technique to keep everything as organized as possible, but recently I have been lazy, as you can see...
 photo CIMG5022_zps5d4a7399.jpg

Currently I am very sick and cannot stand for a long period of time without falling over, so I am unable to reorganize. I will split this post into two pieces so that I can show the before and after when I am better.

The filing method I use is shown here. It's very simple and actually allows you to see the print on your t-shirts and cutsews.

I save my limited closet space for hanging blouses and skirts which don't fold well. The skirts take up more room than the hangers, so I offset the bulk by hanging hangers on hangers so the fullness at the waist is staggered.

If you have the room in your house/room/apartment, you can buy a clothing rack to hang your pretty Lolita dresses on display, but I don't have the room in my apartment!

So how to deal with so much folding to stay organized? Somethings that I have discovered after using this method for a while:
Blouses are prone to wrinkling, so I think it is better to hang them!
Put the clothing you will wear the most often (underwear, socks, bras) in the easiest access point so you can grab them quickly in the morning
Divide a large space by using dividers or boxes. The space between boxes will also serve as a "box" that you can adjust the size of!
Hang up your tights so you can see the print of them and so you don't need to spend a long time on folding and unfolding them.
Keep accessories in an easy-to-see display. I will be making a ribbon accessory organizer when I get better, so I will post a tutorial as well!
Fold and iron your clothes as soon as possible. The longer they sit around, the less likely you will do them! Schedule time for this task!

 photo 545430_945698161629_573562109_n.jpg
Sorry my post this week is severely lacking! I hope the second portion will make it better :) For now, check out other Lolitas' take on the topic!
Toothless Tigers
Lace a La Mode
Loli Dreamland
Lolita Corderosa
Hello Cinderella
Suns in Our Hands
Hello Batty
Red Tonic
The Bloody Tea Party