Sunday, December 18, 2011

It Smells Like Holiday Season

Having grown up in America for 20 years, I am sad to say that my family never actually did the whole eggnog an gingerbread house thing for Christmas. Sure, we had a Christmas tree and I'm pretty sure we did a popcorn string... once... when we were very young...

My friends in Taiwan like to ask me about life in America and I feel like a pretty fail American ^^; But this year my sister and her husband and I got together and made some proper eggnog and a real gingerbread house with real gingerbread!!

It was very fun, even though our gingerbread house looks like a kindergarten craft project, I want to share it!!!

Photobucket
This is the mini tool-shed I made to go with our house as a teaser photo. You know you want to see everything else!

First up: My first eggnog!

Photobucket
I made this by hand! It was quite easy. I reduced the rum from 500ml to 100ml because... my sister and I have terrible alcohol tolerance ^^;

Photobucket
Being very precise about our gingerbread house

Photobucket
My cookies~

Photobucket
Decorations

Photobucket
My sister and her husband. Working hard. Lots of focus.

Photobucket
All put together!

Photobucket
The fantastic chimney blows my mind!!!

Photobucket
The heads of gummy bears. We may have had a bit too much eggnog at this point

Photobucket
Front

Photobucket
Back

Photobucket
Other Side

I brought this home and our house smells fantastically like gingerbread now, and it has made me excited for Christmas!

How do you celebrate the holiday season? Any family traditions or fun crafts/recipes? Fun memories? I want to know!!!!